Social Security Disability Attorneys in Phoenix
The Social Security Administration (SSA) provides two programs that pay disability benefits:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). This insurance program provides benefits to workers and their immediate family members, provided that the workers have worked for a certain period of time and paid Social Security taxes during their employment.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI). This program pays benefits to disabled adults and children who qualify based on limited income and resources. The program also covers individuals aged 65 and older who are not disabled but meet the financial limits.
In most situations, claims are approved based on the same set of medical requirements, and the same process is used by the SSA to determine disability.
The basics of Social Security disability law
Applying for disability benefits requires detailed, accurate completion of all required forms. Although individuals can file their own claims, even one error can cause a claim to be delayed or denied, leaving applicants to make one or more requests for reconsideration or appeals. It is important to note that close to 70 percent of all initial claims are denied. Here are some of the basic requirements and procedures:
- Covered conditions. The SSA maintains a list of medical conditions that qualify you as disabled. If your condition is not on the list, they must determine whether your condition is equally severe as one of the listed conditions.
- Ability to work. The SSA must also determine if you are able to return to your previous work or if you may be capable of doing other work. This determination is based not only on your medical condition, but also on factors such as previous experience, education and age.
- Special situations. Additional rules provide benefits for visually impaired individuals, as well as disabled widows and widowers, disabled children, and Wounded Warriors.
When you need a disability attorney in our Phoenix law firm
Even a simplified explanation of the rules to qualify for disability benefits shows how complex the process can be. You must provide strong evidence of your situation to prove that you meet the strict SSA guidelines for benefit qualification. Your best chance for getting an initial claim accepted is to contact an experienced disability lawyer for assistance with your initial claim. And if you claim is denied, seeking legal assistance is strongly advised.
Taylor and Associates has two attorneys who focus on disability law:
We can help ensure the best possible success for your claim at any point in the process.
Contact our experienced Phoenix disability attorneys
The SSA provides a number of resources for handling your own disability claim, but retaining an experienced disability attorney ensures your claim is handled properly. If your claim has been denied, the skilled attorneys at Taylor and Associates have the specialized skills to obtain the best possible results for you. Contact Taylor and Associates today for a free initial consultation to discuss your case. You pay no fee until you win.